One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wind of force 6 on the Beaufort scale (22–27 knots or 40–50 km/h).
- ‘The game was played in dreadful conditions with a strong breeze driving the heavy rain into the Keane's Road goal.’
- ‘Stocksbridge took advantage of the strong breeze in the first half to put RI under pressure with a series of powerful forward drives.’
- ‘Cill Dara elected to play with the strong breeze.’
- ‘A large crowd was in attendance despite the strong breeze but thankfully the rain stayed away.’
- ‘Mayo were very poor first half being led by 3-4 to 0-2 after the advantage of a strong breeze.’
- ‘Under cloudless skies an incessant strong breeze made conditions very pleasant, but toughened the challenge.’
- ‘The game did not start too well for the team from Portmagee when Waterville raced into a four-point lead with the aid of a strong breeze.’
- ‘Consequently the two divisions found it hard going on a day when the sun shone and a strong breeze blew for most of the round.’
- ‘There are red deer to be picked out by the eagle-eyed on the hillsides, buzzards wheeling overhead and a strong breeze blowing in from the Atlantic.’
- ‘Christy Walsh's frees kept Kiltimagh within reach of Ballagahdereen at half-time, having faced a very strong breeze.’
- ‘But a four-point advantage was very little facing into a strong breeze.’
- ‘Despite playing with a strong breeze in the first half, scores were hard to come by for The Rock and Portlaoise led by five points to three.’
- ‘The home side had the advantage of the strong breeze but they did not add to their early goal despite enjoying the majority of attacking play.’
- ‘The most influential factor in the match was the strong breeze, which was to Boroughmuir's advantage in a first half which they largely dominated.’
- ‘Ballycastle led 2-6 to 4pts at the interval after playing with a strong breeze.’
- ‘But Rotherham with the strong breeze behind moved back upfield and two further penalties from Benson increased their advantage.’
- ‘For the majority, reaching home dry is a touch-and-go affair as umbrellas are no use when the shower is accompanied by a strong breeze.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.