One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wind of force 6 on the Beaufort scale (22–27 knots or 40–50 km/h).
- ‘Under cloudless skies an incessant strong breeze made conditions very pleasant, but toughened the challenge.’
- ‘Despite playing with a strong breeze in the first half, scores were hard to come by for The Rock and Portlaoise led by five points to three.’
- ‘Cill Dara elected to play with the strong breeze.’
- ‘There are red deer to be picked out by the eagle-eyed on the hillsides, buzzards wheeling overhead and a strong breeze blowing in from the Atlantic.’
- ‘The home side had the advantage of the strong breeze but they did not add to their early goal despite enjoying the majority of attacking play.’
- ‘For the majority, reaching home dry is a touch-and-go affair as umbrellas are no use when the shower is accompanied by a strong breeze.’
- ‘But Rotherham with the strong breeze behind moved back upfield and two further penalties from Benson increased their advantage.’
- ‘Mayo were very poor first half being led by 3-4 to 0-2 after the advantage of a strong breeze.’
- ‘Consequently the two divisions found it hard going on a day when the sun shone and a strong breeze blew for most of the round.’
- ‘But a four-point advantage was very little facing into a strong breeze.’
- ‘The most influential factor in the match was the strong breeze, which was to Boroughmuir's advantage in a first half which they largely dominated.’
- ‘Stocksbridge took advantage of the strong breeze in the first half to put RI under pressure with a series of powerful forward drives.’
- ‘The game did not start too well for the team from Portmagee when Waterville raced into a four-point lead with the aid of a strong breeze.’
- ‘Christy Walsh's frees kept Kiltimagh within reach of Ballagahdereen at half-time, having faced a very strong breeze.’
- ‘The game was played in dreadful conditions with a strong breeze driving the heavy rain into the Keane's Road goal.’
- ‘Ballycastle led 2-6 to 4pts at the interval after playing with a strong breeze.’
- ‘A large crowd was in attendance despite the strong breeze but thankfully the rain stayed away.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.