One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
mass noun The supportive tissue of an epithelial organ, tumour, gonad, etc., consisting of connective tissues and blood vessels.‘a loose stroma of connective tissue’mass noun ‘the virus caused necrosis of epithelium and stroma’
- ‘Tumor cells were embedded in a loose collagenous stroma.’
- ‘The bland fibrous stroma is infiltrated by mature lymphocytes and plasma cells.’
- ‘The stroma consists of fatty tissue and ligaments surrounding the ducts and lobules, blood vessels and lymphatic vessels.’
- ‘The deeper regions of the tumor showed hypocellularity and had an abundance of loose edematous stroma.’
- ‘Loose connective tissue stroma predominated in the less cellular areas.’
- 1.1 The spongy framework of protein fibres in a red blood cell or platelet.
- ‘Typical plaques showed proliferation of myofibroblastic cells with myxoid stroma.’
- ‘There is no cellular or architectural atypia of the lobules or stroma.’
- ‘The endometrial stroma has a framework consisting of reticular fibers and stromal cells.’
- ‘The surrounding stroma was infiltrated by plasma cells and scattered aggregates of lymphocytes, forming follicles with germinal centres.’
- ‘The results indicate that the stroma contains some rather fragile enzymes.’
- 1.2Botany The matrix of a chloroplast, in which the grana are embedded.
- ‘Thylakoids of grana stacks are mostly abundant in PSII complexes, while PSI complexes are predominant in stroma lamellae.’
- ‘Granules of different sizes were noted in the chloroplast stroma in all treatments.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
- ‘The relative amount of stroma thylakoids is also increased, while the portion of grana thylakoids is lowered.’
- ‘There is characteristically a dense sparsely cellular fibrous stroma.’
A mass of fungal tissue that has spore-bearing structures either embedded in it or on its surface.‘the fruiting body is tightly compressed and sessile on a stroma’
- ‘Transport proteins in the inner plastid envelope membrane connect the metabolism of plastid stroma and surrounding cytoplasm.’
- ‘During in vivo measurements, excitation light is incident upon the epithelium, and must travel through this tissue layer before reaching the stroma.’
- ‘A few times, dots are observed in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
- ‘This latter consisted of a few membranes irregularly distributed in the stroma or tightly pressed to form very electron-dense stacks.’
- ‘Very few dots are localized in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, via late Latin from Greek strōma ‘coverlet’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.