Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Play in golf in which the score is reckoned by counting the number of strokes taken overall.Compare with match play
- ‘I finished second at 72-hole stroke play in '55, when I was a semi-grownup.’
- ‘His ease of movement, effortless stroke play and audacious shot selection make him a considerable force.’
- ‘Because match play is so different than stroke play, you want experience on your side.’
- ‘These events include standard stroke play, match play, skins, and skills competitions.’
- ‘Why were you so successful in that format when you often had trouble closing the deal in stroke play?’
- ‘It's been said stroke play is a truer test of golf while match play is a truer test of character.’
- ‘And while the next group will appreciate your housekeeping, it'll cost you two strokes in stroke play or loss of the hole in match play.’
- ‘The competition covered the three permutations of the 27-hole layout in two days of Stableford and a middle day of stroke play.’
- ‘How he must be looking forward to returning to the Tour, where he can do his own thing and stick to stroke play whenever possible.’
- ‘The next morning it was off to Nichigo Resort and Golf Club for a Day 1 stroke play competition.’
- ‘The thing to know about the honor is its application in stroke play vs. match play.’
- ‘In stroke play, you take a two-stroke penalty and play it as it lies.’
- ‘Up to four players can play online together in a variety of match play and stroke play conditions.’
- ‘In stroke play, that's a two-stroke penalty; in match play, the penalty is loss of hole.’
- ‘By waiving them, you waive the right to keep score in stroke play and to win the hole in match play.’
- ‘You're playing stroke play on a great golf course.’
- ‘This costs her the hole in match play or a two-stroke penalty in stroke play.’
- ‘In stroke play there is no penalty if golfers play out of order.’
- ‘In an attempt to cope with slow play, ‘continuous putting’ is introduced in stroke play.’
- ‘Last Saturday and Sunday the Northern Rivers Classic was hosted by Ballina Golf Club over 36 holes of stroke play which attracted full fields.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.