One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tubular fluorescent lamp.
- ‘Inside were already another 50 or so souls, under the burning fluorescent strip lights, already having nabbed the prize ‘corner and walls’ slots.’
- ‘But what happens when the strip lights stop working?’
- ‘All the objects have purpose-built rectangular cabinets projecting from the walls, each with an internal strip light.’
- ‘The girls' high-street finery, a Lycra mishmash of tat and glitter, sparkles feebly under red, yellow and purple neon strip lights.’
- ‘We also threw strip light bulbs into the mysterious bath which was quite spectacular.’
- ‘It was a dull metal box with a strip light, and like the hallway, it held an unpleasant odour.’
- ‘The only sounds were the occasional flip of the security guards newspaper pages and the incessant hum of the fluorescent strip light above us.’
- ‘Nearer to him the yellow-orange strip lights suspended along the arched ceiling of the tunnel provided a little more illumination.’
- ‘A strip light was set embedded into the wall about a foot above the bench.’
- ‘It is also on the edge of a conservation area where blue strip lights just aren't appropriate.’
- ‘And with that the strip light gives out and dies.’
- ‘Even sleeping was a problem since the two fluorescent strip lights on the ceiling were left on day and night.’
- ‘Underneath, a red strip light has been fitted to create a floating effect.’
- ‘The strip lights above you cast a sickly ghostly light through the metal cubicle.’
- ‘Sleek, industrial-design future furniture battles with the grit of chain-link fences and soul-eating neon strip lights.’
- ‘There was very little lighting there, other than a bare strip light behind the trestle table at the front of the room, silhouetting whoever was speaking.’
- ‘In one corner of the dressing room, Tilly wails upon beholding her face under the harsh strip lights.’
- ‘I again secured all our lights, except the green strip lights and the white taillight.’
- ‘The apartments are lit by low voltage halogen strip lights which have been angled to highlight furniture and some interesting prints.’
- ‘It had, like the rest of the corridors in the building, cool blue walls on one side, which was illuminated by overhead strip lights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.