Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Cultivation in which different crops are sown in alternate strips to prevent soil erosion.
- ‘The trail was intended to be adjacent to no-till strip cropping planted on the contour, forest plots, and active animal pastures.’
- ‘Adding tile drains, diversion ditches, and strip cropping can slow erosion, increasing both yields and the effectiveness of field operations.’
- ‘Tour a certified organic farm that integrates a rotational strip cropping system of corn, soybeans oats and turnips.’
- ‘Organic farmers use practices such as crop rotations, intercropping, strip cropping, establishing wildlife cover and providing habitat for beneficial organisms.’
- ‘Reduced-tillage cropping systems and surface grading, in addition to contour planting and strip cropping, can also reduce pesticide runoff.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.