One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supporting timber or skirting in which the ends of the steps in a staircase are set.Also called stringer
- ‘This is also the right address for rolling stair stringboards and stair railings.’
- ‘The frame consists of two parallel beams which form stringboards and are pivoted to the fixed support.’
- ‘Front fix and stringboard brackets are available for fully fitted or runner carpets.’
- ‘The production of compressed bamboo flooring, commonly known as stringboard has seen a rapid expansion in China over the past two years.’
- ‘Anomalous’ owner Erik Lanzillotta asked if I would make an installation of stringboards and I gladly agreed.’
- ‘The following year the statue was brought to the eastern stair stringboard in Schinkel's Old Museum.’
- ‘The bar-glued or block-glued stairs are rabbeted on their stringboards, so that no gap can be seen even after the wood's natural shrinkage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.