Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A supporting timber or skirting in which the ends of the steps in a staircase are set.Also called stringer
- ‘Anomalous’ owner Erik Lanzillotta asked if I would make an installation of stringboards and I gladly agreed.’
- ‘The following year the statue was brought to the eastern stair stringboard in Schinkel's Old Museum.’
- ‘The production of compressed bamboo flooring, commonly known as stringboard has seen a rapid expansion in China over the past two years.’
- ‘This is also the right address for rolling stair stringboards and stair railings.’
- ‘The frame consists of two parallel beams which form stringboards and are pivoted to the fixed support.’
- ‘The bar-glued or block-glued stairs are rabbeted on their stringboards, so that no gap can be seen even after the wood's natural shrinkage.’
- ‘Front fix and stringboard brackets are available for fully fitted or runner carpets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.