Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A supporting timber or skirting in which the ends of the steps in a staircase are set.Also called stringer
- ‘Anomalous’ owner Erik Lanzillotta asked if I would make an installation of stringboards and I gladly agreed.’
- ‘The production of compressed bamboo flooring, commonly known as stringboard has seen a rapid expansion in China over the past two years.’
- ‘The frame consists of two parallel beams which form stringboards and are pivoted to the fixed support.’
- ‘The following year the statue was brought to the eastern stair stringboard in Schinkel's Old Museum.’
- ‘This is also the right address for rolling stair stringboards and stair railings.’
- ‘Front fix and stringboard brackets are available for fully fitted or runner carpets.’
- ‘The bar-glued or block-glued stairs are rabbeted on their stringboards, so that no gap can be seen even after the wood's natural shrinkage.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.