One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vest made of a meshed fabric, typically worn by men as underwear.
- ‘One of them is wearing Calvin Klein boxers and a string vest.’
- ‘There's much more to the whole business than a string vest, three huge sweaters, and an oilskin.’
- ‘It is also very unlikely you will come across anyone sporting a string vest and a can of strong lager here.’
- ‘As he came closer, I could see that he had an impressive moustache and was wearing a string vest and a battered cowboy hat.’
- ‘Andrew was ordered not to wear string vests, and not to embarrass her with stories of her youth.’
- ‘Faye holds up a tight pair of trousers on Nikki and a string vest with the number 56 on it.’
- ‘He wore a string vest, had upper and lower arm tattoos, a thick gold chain and Irish accent.’
- ‘If Martin Ferris turns up in a string vest, we're boycotting the place.’
- ‘All eight pairs of underpants, four shirts, four string vests and three drip-dry slacks were burned to ash.’
- ‘Neighbours who had seen him strutting up and down his street in a string vest doing Freddie Mercury impressions were astonished.’
- ‘I suggested we hire a balding midget, put him in a string vest and trousers, give him a water pistol and wedge him into the air ducts.’
- ‘Innocent Tandema, a young man in a khaki string vest, his neck adorned with beads, said he was 21.’
- ‘She changed into black cargo pants, a sturdy pair of black trainer-type shoes, a purple string vest and tied a black sweater around her waist.’
- ‘To fit in I am planning to wear a string vest, swig from a bottle of whiskey and loudly chant the lyrics to a couple of Marti Pellow songs.’
- ‘He is a send up of the derogatory stereotype of the poor Glaswegian: frequently drunk, determinedly idle and none too clean in his string vest.’
- ‘Cut-off shorts and string vests were the required costumes for young women performers in Cartwright Follies at the Library Theatre.’
- ‘He is wearing nothing but shorts and a string vest through which some of his ribs are clearly visible, matchstick arms firmly crossed against his chest.’
- ‘Pattison says there will be no string vests in sight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.