Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A chamber music ensemble consisting of first and second violins, viola, and cello.
- ‘Get a string trio or a jazz trio instead of a string quartet or jazz quartet.’
- ‘The second captures the string quartet, adding slight delay and flange effects.’
- ‘Fugue is the great temptress of the string quartet.’
- ‘One thing I am particularly excited about is the chance to perform with my string quartet in the smaller auditorium.’
- ‘Although using a multi-choral arrangement, Vaughan Williams concentrates on three string groups and one soloist string quartet.’
- ‘One of my favorite albums is The Juliet Letters which is a collaboration between Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet, a classical string quartet.’
- ‘In the former, written in 1998, a string quartet (Procédé Rodesco-Letort) plays a duet with a drum machine.’
- ‘In about 1919, Gershwin wrote his Lullaby for string quartet as an instrumentation exercise for his teacher Edward Kilyeni.’
- ‘Even with Adriano's increase of strings over the original string quartet, this performance keeps much of that flavor.’
- ‘The string quartet from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was being paid some good money to play during the first part of the reception.’
- ‘I liked the music best when Brickman had accompaniment, such as the string quartet, the electric violin, or Dave Koz's alto sax.’
- ‘This recording from the International Arts Festival last year is a comic opera about a string quartet on tour.’
- ‘It was notated tablature - style, one pentagram for each string of each instrument, as if the string quartet were a single instrument with sixteen strings.’
- ‘A string quartet was softly playing chamber music in the corner.’
- ‘We play Baroque repertoire in much the same way a string quartet treats Classical repertoire.’
- ‘The Quartet is the graduate string quartet in residence at the Hartt School with the Miami String Quartet.’
- ‘The string quartet and the choir were not Don Gurnett's idea.’
- ‘Arriaga was second fiddle in a string quartet at nine years of age, and two years later wrote an octet.’
- ‘In the meantime, a string quartet from Hamburg gave a concert in Rome at the Goethe Institute.’
- ‘There are four musicians at Fortrose's concert - a string quartet of two violinists and two keyboard players.’
- 1.1A piece of music for a string quartet.
- ‘Nobody who has any interest in the development of the string quartet after Brahms should ignore this marvellous disc.’
- ‘Finally, the Third Symphony contains music derived from a string quartet by way of an opera, so it really is not a late work at all.’
- ‘His first piano sonata, string quartet and chamber ensemble pieces are Beethovenian in form and content.’
- ‘And we've got everything we need to do that, whether it's nu-metal, folk songs, or string quartets.’
- ‘What would happen to any politician who dared to confess that he or she hated pop music and liked listening to Mozart's string quartets?’
- ‘After Peter Grimes Although Britten wrote a second string quartet in 1945, opera increasingly occupied his attention.’
- ‘His own compositions number over 60 and include a symphony, string quartet, thirty-four songs, and numerous solo piano pieces.’
- ‘The second disc is more overtly concerned with string quartet and quintet medium.’
- ‘The Spiegel String Quartet present a piano quartet, a string quartet and a short Molto Adagio for quartet.’
- ‘He wrote no symphony or opera or string quartet.’
- ‘Mr Kuerti told us though that the treasure of the event was a string quartet in one of the concerts we missed.’
- ‘A performance of his final string quartet emerged seamlessly from the story, deriving its meaning from it and supplying its conclusion.’
- ‘The CD contains a short string quartet movement, a suite of four pieces for brass quintet, and solo pieces for piano, trombone, and cello.’
- ‘His second string quartet, Why is This Night Different, also explored a Jewish theme.’
- ‘Peter Sculthorpe, one of Australia's leading composers, has written much chamber music including some fifteen string quartets.’
- ‘It starts with a string quartet and is completely expanded but the whole piece is constructed around that sample.’
- ‘Purists, however, might regard arranging a Schubert string quartet for chamber orchestra as a step too far.’
- ‘A Mozart string quartet does not reduce my ‘discomfort’ when my dentist is drilling into my teeth.’
- ‘Jnacek's passionate second string quartet, which the composer himself entitled Intimate Letters, followed the Mozart.’
- ‘I've played Beethoven string quartets for funerals and various Bach pieces but never this!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.