Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of various beans eaten in their fibrous pods, especially runner beans or French beans.
- ‘Yes, honeybunch, I threw string beans at you out of my undying love.’
- ‘They walked toward the field and just beyond the fence was a Crop Circle in the string beans.’
- ‘The lamb was quite good as well and it was served with steamed cauliflower, string beans and carrots.’
- ‘He returns carrying a faded sport coat that's a shade of light green resembling stale string beans.’
- ‘Bass are a magnificent athletic species and should not end up served with string beans and half a lime.’
- ‘In a large bowl, mix them together with fresh string beans.’
- ‘As for Quaz, he had liver, string beans, and blood pudding.’
- ‘Today that selection was a smoked salmon tower with potato pancakes and poached eggs and string beans.’
- ‘Take more walks, sing more lullabies, spend less time trying to get her to eat string beans and more time pushing the stroller along the boardwalk.’
- ‘It will be baked along with some veggies… carrot, cho cho, broccoli and string beans.’
- ‘I started rinsing my mouth with the juice from canned string beans.’
- ‘Then, he looked up and saw Mel's blank face as she toyed the string beans on the plate using her fork instead of eating them.’
- ‘The selection tonight was either breaded chicken with rice, string beans, and a roll, or a big bowl of beef stew and a roll.’
- ‘The three girls made turkey, cranberries, mashed potatoes, pies, corn, string beans, and much more.’
- ‘There are string beans (snap beans), green beans, purple beans and yellow beans.’
- ‘One was tall and thin like a string bean and the other was short and round like a tomato.’
- ‘Some string beans are so delicious, you may want to keep a supply at hand by putting some in your garden.’
- ‘When it states that a Liégeoise salad is bacon, string beans, onions, and red bliss potatoes, that's it.’
- ‘Zinc is also abundant in spinach, parsley, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, string beans and prunes.’
- ‘Mix the papaya, tomato string beans and the other ingredients.’
2informal A tall, thin person.
- ‘She had a figure with curves that befitted a woman, not the string beans typical of Hollywood and the modeling world.’
- ‘I had a string bean body that hardly looked toned.’
- ‘The director would undoubtedly label this spineless string bean a quintessential American.’
- ‘I am not jealous of that geeky little string bean.’
- ‘During one stretch in September, Pina belied his frail, string bean appearance by working in eight of Oakland's 10 games.’
- ‘In 1956, a 16-year-old string bean of 89 pounds, she ran in the Melbourne Olympics.’
- ‘Alexis Rios, a string bean if there ever was one, struck out swinging against Jarrod Washburn to end the inning.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.