One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A powered grass trimmer with a nylon cutting cord which rotates rapidly on a spindle.
- ‘Lawn mowers, strimmers and hedge trimmers are being targeted.’
- ‘Falls from ladders cause the most injuries, followed by accidents with electrical tools such as lawnmowers, power drills and hedge strimmers.’
- ‘Included in the items taken were a chain saws, hedge trimmers and strimmers.’
- ‘As she was coming back to the house the plastic cord in the strimmer snapped off and I cut the engine to lengthen it.’
- ‘They took lawn mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, as well as drills and tools totalling about £3,000.’
1970s: probably a blend of string and trimmer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.