One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that attracts attention by reason of being unusual, extreme, or prominent.‘the stories strikingly illustrate the creative power of the imagination’‘their methods of work differed strikingly’as submodifier ‘a strikingly beautiful girl’
- ‘The architect strikingly inserted natural elements in each of the rooms.’
- ‘Strikingly, despite their high style of living, they were able to save 80 per cent of their income.’
- ‘The corn is all transplanted by hand rather than direct-seeded, giving the field a strikingly orderly appearance.’
- ‘The greatest English watercolourists produced strikingly limpid studies of nature.’
- ‘The headdress with upright feathers, worn in Havana in the mid-1800s, is strikingly similar to ones from central Africa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.