Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A metal plate attached to a door jamb or lidded container, against which the end of a spring-lock bolt strikes when the door or lid is closed.
- ‘The recesses that are left from the removal of the hinges and striker plate now need to be filled.’
- ‘This metal striker plate is a good replacement for many entrance doors.’
- ‘Do your doors have security features such as door viewers, deadbolt locks, reinforced striker plates and hinge attachments?’
- ‘With the added weight of the tire, it may be necessary to make a final adjustment to the striker plate.’
- ‘The aperture further defines an integral striker bar that extends along two sides of the striker plates.’
- ‘The holes that are drilled in the door and the inset for the striker plates will match.’
- ‘Most often, striker plates have to be moved up or down, but the process is the same for moving it in or out.’
- ‘A friend of the homeowners made a temporary repair by replacing the striker plates and securing them with drywall screws.’
- ‘The new striker plate is thicker than the old, but I reused the shims that were under the old one.’
- ‘Unscrew the two small screws holding the striker plate on your door frame to see what is protecting you and your family from potential intruders.’
- ‘The rim lock is aligned with the striker plate using the paper-fixing template provided.’
- ‘The use of cold rolled steel for the striker plate is recommended.’
- ‘I can tell you that the newer striker plates can mate with an old latch, but not perfectly.’
- ‘Decide how much slack you want and add that amount to get the position of the striker plate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.