One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The success rate of a sports team, typically in scoring goals or runs.
- ‘Frankly, the U.S. needs a better strike rate, a better percentage of success.’
- ‘Yet despite this phenomenal strike rate of nearly a goal every two games, nobody has really taken any notice.’
- ‘He also had a superb strike rate in Scotland - scoring 93 goals in 163 league starts for Queen of the South.’
- ‘He is a quality player who has an amazing strike rate.’
- ‘Some believe that de Vries is over-rated, and he can certainly look clumsy, but there is no arguing with his strike rate.’
- ‘The result was that Shepherd had the highest strike rate of that year's championship, recording an 87% success rate.’
- ‘Heskey has silenced his critics this season and has had a phenomenal strike rate.’
- ‘The 28-year-old averages about a goal every other match in league competition, a superb strike rate in Italy.’
- ‘During the intervening years he has the impressive strike rate of 48 tries.’
- ‘His strike rate is very high, which is laudable.’
- ‘It was not through lack of application that Kilmarnock had not scored and bettered their home strike rate.’
- ‘However, while they do remain the highest goal scorers for the season thus far, the strike rate is falling at an alarming rate.’
- ‘Nazir had the best strike rate, averaging a wicket every 27.12 balls, ahead of Anyon, those being the only two to break 30.’
- ‘That's far from ideal, especially given the miserable strike rate the Connacht champions have had in All-Ireland quarter-finals.’
- ‘They have a strike rate of in excess of 60 per cent at home.’
- ‘At a strike rate of 1 in 3 or 4 this would equate to around 100 chances.’
- ‘He now has 21 goals for his country in 26 appearances putting his strike rate up there with any forward in the world game.’
- ‘He scored heavily against all opponents in all conditions with a high strike rate.’
- ‘A better supply of early chances up front from midfield and the wingbacks would increase the strike rate and goals scored.’
- ‘He averages 40 with a high strike rate of 75 runs per 100 balls and has the knack of taking important wickets at crucial times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.