One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Many biologists have studied the neural control of sound production since Huber's pioneering work in the 1950s on command systems for stridulation in crickets.’
- ‘Recent studies have shown that stridulations are also initiated to recruit workers to an attractive food source, and that these vibrations are transferred to the substrate through the ant's head.’
- ‘Schizocosa uetzi males have black pigmentation over the middle portion of the tibia of their forelegs and use a courtship display consisting of a stationary stridulation with an intermittent slow foreleg arch.’
- ‘In all species of Laupala, the male song structure is simple, consisting of a rhythmic train of pulses produced during courtship by stridulation of the forewings.’
- ‘However, cicadas produce their sounds - the loudest of any insects’ - not by stridulation but by vibrating membranes, or tymbals, located on their abdomens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.