Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality or condition of being strict.‘the strictness of his upbringing’
severity, harshness, rigidity, rigidness, stringency, rigorousness, austerityprecision, preciseness, accuracy, exactness, exactitude, correctness, faithfulness, closeness, correspondenceView synonyms
- ‘The commander stands for the general's qualities of wisdom, sincerity, benevolence, courage, and strictness.’
- ‘To a lesser extent they blamed adverse family factors and the strictness of the school regime.’
- ‘Yet when no discrimination is in question she forgoes strictness, and gives both race and diversity constitutional stature.’
- ‘In strictness the answer on both points must be in the negative. The Constitution of the U. S. forbids everything like an establishment of a national religion.’
- ‘Her high spirits and love of life were so different from Mimi's strictness and rigidity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.