One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A literal interpretation of a statute or document by a court.
- ‘The further advantage of a strict construction was that one simply had to read the enforcement notices to discover whether the breaches which founded each enforcement notice were the same.’
- ‘The implication of a retrospective effect is, in my judgment, a significant pointer against a strict construction.’
- ‘He made a comparison with criminal statutes and submitted that an approach of strict construction is necessary.’
- ‘A strict construction, such as might be adopted for ordinary taxation legislation, is inappropriate.’
- ‘In accordance with the basic rule of statutory interpretation, a penal enactment will not be given a strict construction if other interpretive factors weigh more heavily in the scales.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.