Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Muscle tissue in which the contractile fibrils in the cells are aligned in parallel bundles, so that their different regions form stripes visible in a microscope. Muscles of this type are attached to the skeleton by tendons and are under voluntary control. Also called skeletal muscle.Often contrasted with smooth muscle
- ‘It is girdled by the external anal sphincter, a striated muscle structure that is part of the pelvic floor musculature.’
- ‘Differentiation of vertebrate skeletal striated muscle can be studied in cell culture and provides a valuable model system for cell differentiation.’
- ‘Creatine kinase is an enzyme that is found in striated muscle and tissues of the brain, kidney, lung, and gastrointestinal tract.’
- ‘Here, striated muscle is replaced by smooth muscle, the two types of muscle interdigitating over several centimeters.’
- ‘A second major difference between smooth and striated muscle is that smooth muscle contains a unique myosin light-chain subunit known as p-light chain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.