One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A crumbly topping or filling made from fat, flour, sugar, and often cinnamon.as modifier ‘lemon streusel bars’
- ‘Bake it with sugar to make an easy compote that's great on its own or in a layered rhubarb - lemon cream pie, or top the chopped fruit with streusel for a homey rhubarb crisp.’
- ‘As I opened the oven door to bake it, I dropped the crumble on the kitchen floor, sending crushed blackberries and streusel everywhere.’
- ‘Topped with the perfect amount of cinnamon streusel crunch, this will leave you speechless!’
- ‘Specifically their ‘Apple Crumble’ flavor is a bomb dropped directly on America's waistline, so delicious and full of sweet streusel and fresh baked apple.’
- ‘The actual streusel goes in the center of the plate, with more fresh blueberries, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and an artful drizzle of blueberry sauce.’
- ‘Apple Crumble consists of brown sugar ice cream with cinnamon streusel, apples and a caramel swirl.’
- ‘Scoop quenelle of ice cream and place atop streusel circle.’
- ‘I then went to the bus tub that normally holds these dishes and started picking them out so I could make a batch of streusel for the day.’
- ‘However uncanny the resemblance is, this is not a slice of blueberry streusel cheesecake.’
- 1.1 A cake or pastry with a streusel topping.
- ‘‘Lydia has about you told me a little,’ Maude began, over tea and streusel.’
- ‘I quickly assemble a rum cake, a plate of vanilla ice cream and a streusel.’
- ‘So I created a butternut squash and apple teacake with a surprising but delicious candied-ginger and pine-nut streusel.’
- ‘For the chocolate streusel: Preheat oven to 310 degrees.’
- ‘At the top, the reward for both athletes and mere mortals is a piece of one of Sue King's pies-especially her fruit ones: rhubarb, peach, boysenberry, pear with cheddar streusel, and Dutch apple.’
From German Streusel, from streuen ‘sprinkle’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.