Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sensory receptor that responds to the stretching of surrounding muscle tissue and so contributes to the coordination of muscle activity.
- ‘A specific stretch receptor protein in plants has yet to be identified.’
- ‘Simultaneously, the enhanced chemoreceptor response elicits an inhibitory response from the baroreceptors and pulmonary stretch receptors.’
- ‘The crayfish stretch receptor neuron is such an object.’
- ‘There are several mechanisms involved in regulating the secretion of vasopressin, including hypothalamic osmoreceptors, left atrial stretch receptors, and arterial baroreceptors.’
- ‘In the lobster stretch receptor, for example, extra spikes are generated even when soma invasion fails.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.