Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sensory receptor that responds to the stretching of surrounding muscle tissue and so contributes to the coordination of muscle activity.
- ‘Simultaneously, the enhanced chemoreceptor response elicits an inhibitory response from the baroreceptors and pulmonary stretch receptors.’
- ‘The crayfish stretch receptor neuron is such an object.’
- ‘In the lobster stretch receptor, for example, extra spikes are generated even when soma invasion fails.’
- ‘A specific stretch receptor protein in plants has yet to be identified.’
- ‘There are several mechanisms involved in regulating the secretion of vasopressin, including hypothalamic osmoreceptors, left atrial stretch receptors, and arterial baroreceptors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.