One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sensory receptor that responds to the stretching of surrounding muscle tissue and so contributes to the coordination of muscle activity.
- ‘There are several mechanisms involved in regulating the secretion of vasopressin, including hypothalamic osmoreceptors, left atrial stretch receptors, and arterial baroreceptors.’
- ‘The crayfish stretch receptor neuron is such an object.’
- ‘In the lobster stretch receptor, for example, extra spikes are generated even when soma invasion fails.’
- ‘Simultaneously, the enhanced chemoreceptor response elicits an inhibitory response from the baroreceptors and pulmonary stretch receptors.’
- ‘A specific stretch receptor protein in plants has yet to be identified.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.