Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Streaks or stripes on the skin, especially on the abdomen, caused by distension of the skin from obesity or during pregnancy.
- ‘Dry skin and stretch marks can, for example, be treated by direct skin-application of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.’
- ‘Where the fibres break, the skin becomes thinner, and these areas show as stretch marks.’
- ‘If the stretch mark extends well above that level, some of them may be left behind, even in a belt lipectomy.’
- ‘There is a different kind of scar on my stomach - a single stretch mark from bearing my son.’
- ‘Essentials such as pregnancy testing kits, a cot, pushchair, car seat and even stretch mark cream are then added to the cost.’
- ‘There is no way to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘Liposuction is not a treatment for weight control or obesity and it cannot remove cellulite or stretch marks.’
- ‘Between 75 and 90% of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘Pink or purple stretch marks may form on your skin.’
- ‘Typically, women complain of stretch marks mostly on the abdomen, breasts and buttocks.’
- ‘I was as round as ever and there was a big stretch mark across my belly.’
- ‘A stretch mark results when the skin tears after being expanded beyond its limits.’
- ‘The frankness of Poynton's gaze reveals each of the three as naked and exposed, their skin rendered unnervingly, with attention given to every hair, vein and stretch mark.’
- ‘But those diseases don't leave stretch marks like those of pregnancy.’
- ‘To reduce the depth of stretch mark scars, doctors can employ surgical procedures that scrape or peel off layers of skin.’
- ‘It shows every bulge, every stretch mark, and every flaw.’
- ‘As your breasts grow and the skin stretches, you may feel itchiness or develop stretch marks.’
- ‘Obsessed with the extra weight and stretch marks now marring her abdomen and hips, she became even more depressed.’
- ‘She felt enormous in the ugly way girls do when they notice a new stretch mark.’
- ‘Now, I'm the epitome of slim, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was afflicted with a stretch mark on my tummy!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.