One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Streaks or stripes on the skin, especially on the abdomen, caused by distension of the skin from obesity or during pregnancy.
- ‘Dry skin and stretch marks can, for example, be treated by direct skin-application of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.’
- ‘It shows every bulge, every stretch mark, and every flaw.’
- ‘I was as round as ever and there was a big stretch mark across my belly.’
- ‘She felt enormous in the ugly way girls do when they notice a new stretch mark.’
- ‘Essentials such as pregnancy testing kits, a cot, pushchair, car seat and even stretch mark cream are then added to the cost.’
- ‘If the stretch mark extends well above that level, some of them may be left behind, even in a belt lipectomy.’
- ‘As your breasts grow and the skin stretches, you may feel itchiness or develop stretch marks.’
- ‘A stretch mark results when the skin tears after being expanded beyond its limits.’
- ‘To reduce the depth of stretch mark scars, doctors can employ surgical procedures that scrape or peel off layers of skin.’
- ‘The frankness of Poynton's gaze reveals each of the three as naked and exposed, their skin rendered unnervingly, with attention given to every hair, vein and stretch mark.’
- ‘But those diseases don't leave stretch marks like those of pregnancy.’
- ‘Typically, women complain of stretch marks mostly on the abdomen, breasts and buttocks.’
- ‘Where the fibres break, the skin becomes thinner, and these areas show as stretch marks.’
- ‘Liposuction is not a treatment for weight control or obesity and it cannot remove cellulite or stretch marks.’
- ‘There is no way to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘Pink or purple stretch marks may form on your skin.’
- ‘Between 75 and 90% of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘There is a different kind of scar on my stomach - a single stretch mark from bearing my son.’
- ‘Now, I'm the epitome of slim, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was afflicted with a stretch mark on my tummy!’
- ‘Obsessed with the extra weight and stretch marks now marring her abdomen and hips, she became even more depressed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.