Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Displaying or characterized by anxiety, tension, or stress.‘she gets a bit stressy about me being away so much’‘he'd had a very stressy day’
anxious, nervous, on edge, edgy, strained, stressed, under a strain, under pressure, agitated, ill at ease, unrelaxed, in a state of nerves, in a state of agitation, fretful, uneasy, restless, worked up, keyed up, overwrought, highly strung, wrought up, strung out, jumpy, on tenterhooks, on pins and needles, with one's stomach in knots, fidgety, worried, apprehensive, upset, disturbed, panickyView synonyms
- ‘So your personal recipe for a less stressy week is this: Unless people specifically ask for your opinion, try not to offer it.’
- ‘Paula and myself were probably quite stressy to be around: young, difficult and big-headed.’
- ‘So it's not me being stressy and loopy.’
- ‘It was quiet and not stressy.’
- ‘This effect has been exacerbated because the artistic mission of almost every artist these days is to get scarier, a reflection of the stressy and random world in which we live.’
- ‘I'm tired and a bit stressy.’
- ‘Work is much less stressy now.’
- ‘Everyone was stressy although god knows what they had to stress over.’
- ‘I tell her I think I would be stressy too if my girlfriend was hanging around in New York with Lenny Kravitz.’
- ‘Those that won't go forward, or are tense and stressy, suddenly become very relaxed.’
- ‘So I was right, today continued to be a stupidly stressy day.’
- ‘I'm coming home from a really stressy day at work.’
- ‘Meanwhile, work is getting stressy again.’
- ‘I am feeling like I have things to say but not in a sad or stressy way.’
- ‘It was the stressiest night I've ever had at work.’
- ‘I have a reasonably stressy job.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.