Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing mental or emotional stress.‘corporate finance work can be stressful’
demanding, trying, exacting, taxing, difficult, hard, toughfraught, traumatic, pressured, tense, frustratingworrying, nerve-racking, anxious, anxiety-riddenwearing, tiring, exhausting, drainingView synonyms
- ‘I had never worked in that way before and it was great fun although it was stressful because it was different.’
- ‘Yesterday was quite a stressful day, as stressful as I've yet encountered in this role.’
- ‘Berlin is a reminder that life doesn't have to be fast, career-driven and stressful.’
- ‘I can feel my blood pressure going up already - next Saturday will be a very stressful day.’
- ‘These are just some of the myriad of worries we face every day in our increasingly busy and stressful lives.’
- ‘Having to make decisions can be stressful, because you have to weigh one option against another.’
- ‘Instead, we are all working harder and in more stressful circumstances than ever.’
- ‘They're stressful games but I just tried not to get too hyped up about it all.’
- ‘It can be really stressful and you never know if you are coming or going.’
- ‘Lots of people have stressful jobs, which feed back into their private lives.’
- ‘I know this has been a very difficult and stressful time for the family and for staff involved.’
- ‘Her work is stressful, and she worries that her bowel problems may affect her job performance.’
- ‘It was stressful and physically demanding but a great privilege to be involved.’
- ‘To add injustice to the stressful wait is a recipe for disaster that can lead to hostility.’
- ‘The piece was a light-hearted exercise to wind down my brain after a stressful exam period.’
- ‘Preparing for your wedding day can be stressful as you juggle all these demands.’
- ‘The finances are perhaps the most stressful element of building work for the average homeowner.’
- ‘That way I can miss the crowded trains and the general rush and hubbub, and it should be a lot less stressful.’
- ‘Just getting in and out of my chair is an incredibly hard and stressful task.’
- ‘They say that moving home is one of the most stressful things you can do.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.