One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘His preferred terms of admiration reflect the Victorian preoccupation with ‘character’, inflected perhaps by his endorsement of strenuousness as the essential ingredient of moral heroism.’
- ‘It is also important to repeatedly remind participants to watch for overheating during the cardiovascular segment of the class - the water's coolness keeps the heart rate lower and can mask the strenuousness of the exercise.’
- ‘It was nearly a full mile to the house at the end of the path, and it was only the heat of the day and the strenuousness of the exercise that prevented him from calling out to the inhabitants of the house.’
- ‘Although secretly piqued by Jake's comments and judgment, Luke decided that the current situation didn't need extra strenuousness.’
- ‘The strenuousness and power of a godward life shows itself in the privileges and responsibilities laid upon the Christian by this identity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.