One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A southern African plant of the genus Strelitzia (family Strelitziaceae ), especially (in gardening) a bird of paradise flower.
- ‘Large tropical flowers, like heliconia and strelitzia, are good, too.’
- ‘It's on days like these - when the plaster cast has come off, that I need to paint my monkeys next to the strelitzia flower.’
- ‘The Consultant grew two or three strelitzias from seed about eight years ago, and very kindly gave me one.’
- ‘Although one certainly wouldn't call the work representational, the apparently abstract lines, forms and colours she chooses clearly reference bones, strelitzias or wings amongst other things.’
- ‘It is planted with many varieties of Cape fynbos, cycads, huge strelitzias, beds of clivias, large arum lilies, proteas and trees such as yellowwood and cabbage.’
Named after Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744–1818), queen of George III.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.