Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An informal term for something, typically an illegal drug.‘Special K is the street name for ketamine’
- ‘It is also known as methamphetamine and by the street names "ice" and " Nazi crank ".’
- ‘Marijuana has a variety of street names.’
- ‘Street names for MDMA include Ecstasy, Adam, XTC, hug, beans and love drug.’
- ‘It is a street name for sexual immorality.’
2North American The name of a stockbroking firm, bank, or dealer in which stock is held on behalf of a purchaser.
- ‘Shares held in a brokerage account are very rarely registered in the shareholder's name and are instead registered in street name.’
- ‘To change the registration of a security that is not held in street name, you can transfer the title through our brokerage service or the transfer agent.’
- ‘You may have your security registered in street name and held in your account at your broker-dealer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.