One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The main door of a house opening on to the street.
- ‘A downstairs neighbour let them in through the street door.’
- ‘Most of the street doors were wide open, and through them I stepped straight into the front parlour.’
- ‘When we go out, we transit the same doors but use fewer keys-the elevator and the street door lock behind us.’
- ‘Bryan alleged that as he and Rebecca approached, Mawhood and Mr Gilchrist were kissing and cuddling at their street door, but Rebecca claimed the couple were having a short argument.’
- ‘My job at the food importers started at seven, and the street door of the overflow hostel was not unlocked until seven.’
- ‘Follow me in five minutes; and don't knock at the street door.’
- ‘When they unlock the street door, they take the puppy off its leash.’
- ‘I got off to a bad start when I couldn't figure out how to open the street door to the restaurant.’
- ‘Soon a fan the size of a card table is pulling the bad air out the street door.’
- ‘As he was in the lead, Astor pulled the street door open for Maddox.’
- ‘He gets out of the street door and walks around to the sidewalk door, opens it and pulls his female companion out by her hair and dumps her to the ground.’
- ‘It's a fabulously grand home - even though you approach the street door down a narrow alleyway hung with washing - but they're not grand about it.’
- ‘Viola ducks away from him and blunders blindly out of the street door, in tears.’
- ‘I heard his little steps hammer up the stairs, but Marissa must have picked him up, for there came a great howling under the door, and it was abruptly cut off by the street door crashing shut.’
- ‘Nowadays, especially in cafes with large street doors, they are just as comfortable as you are - perhaps more so: no waiter is going to present them with a bill.’
- ‘As soon as the street door opened every news camera in the southern hemisphere hit the lights and reporters started yelling questions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.