Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A freshwater plant with long fronds that stream and wave in the current, especially water crowfoot.
- ‘The river was quite deep on the far bank but shallower with streamer weed on my side.’
- ‘A bed of streamer weed extends outwards from the left hand downstream bank for about ten feet.’
- ‘Everywhere parr dart amongst the streamer weed and shoals of fry waft forward and back in the current.’
- ‘There is no doubt that locating chub in streamer weed gives most anglers the greatest difficulty.’
- ‘A traditional, but effective, method to catch gypsy barbel in rivers is to use pieces of streamer weed as bait.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.