Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Long, thin lines of a different colour from their surroundings, especially on dyed hair.‘streaking and lowlights give a flattering effect’‘you can get telltale streaking if you are not very careful with application’
- ‘Sputum cultures showed bacterial colonies appearing outside areas of streaking in an unusual pattern.’
- ‘The Black Merlin is solid black on the head and back, and dark with a minimal amount of light streaking on the breast.’
- ‘Two helpful tips the authors present are that lymphangitic streaking is often consistent with cutaneous infection, and that splenomegaly is rare in metastatic cancer.’
- ‘For instance, song sparrows here in Bel Air have highly visible, dark streaking on the white underparts and long, white streaks on the sides of the crown and chin.’
- ‘Once you are happy with the amount of streaking, rub the powder into the clay until the surface texture is smooth.’
- ‘Immature birds are brown above with brown streaking on their white underparts; they have yellow eyes.’
- ‘The juvenile is mottled-brown above with brown and buff streaking below.’
- ‘Females are brown above with varying degrees of brown and buff streaking below.’
- ‘The head is mostly white, with a limited amount of brown streaking, especially in non-breeding plumage.’
- ‘Damage from the Russian wheat aphid ranges from yellow or whitish streaking to purpling of the damaged leaves.’
- ‘The males are usually a bold red, but first year males are yellow-orange with red streaking.’
- ‘An example of light streaking is the swirling trails of automobile head- and taillights.’
- ‘Radiography showed linear streaking of the metaphyses of the long bones.’
- ‘Immature birds are brown above with diffuse brown streaking below; they have yellow eyes.’
- ‘This sparrow has prominent streaking on its breast with a conspicuous dark spot in the center of it.’
- ‘Lymphangitic streaking was absent.’
- ‘The nodule has a relatively fracture-free interior that is an off-white color tinged with green streaking.’
- ‘There are three principal sources of variation: size, especially wing length; darkness of the mantle; and degree of streaking on the mantle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.