One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small evergreen European tree which bears clusters of whitish flowers late in the year, often at the same time as the strawberry-like fruit from the previous season's flowers.
- ‘Other hedge plants for backyard retreats include Mexican orange, Pacific wax myrtle, Pittosporum tobira, and strawberry tree.’
- ‘The rare strawberry tree is also found in the locality, its most northern station in Europe and one of only three locations where it is found growing naturally in Ireland.’
- ‘There are maples with beautiful barks, scarlet willow, the Killarney strawberry tree, hellebores, sweetly scented Lonicera and Viburnum and dense thickets of crimson and yellow dogwoods.’
- ‘But the judicious placement of plants - a strawberry tree in the planter and several liquidambars screening a corner - makes the space surprisingly private.’
- ‘Climatic conditions were suitable for the northward spread of the strawberry tree because close proximity to the sea and the influence of the warm Gulf Stream provides western Ireland with a wet, mild and frost-free climate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.