One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small edible mushroom which grows on rice straw, cultivated in SE Asia.
Volvariella volvacea, family Agaricaceae, class Hymenomycetes
- ‘My chu chu beef has been lovingly marinated to within an inch of its bovine life, and arrives complete with tangy spring onions, straw mushrooms and slices of carrot adorably cut into crab shapes.’
- ‘I got the red curry with chicken, potatoes, straw mushrooms, and bamboo shoots.’
- ‘For instance, oyster mushrooms and straw mushrooms can be grown on the flat plains all through the year.’
- ‘The water chestnuts went with the baby corn and straw mushrooms very well, and the cream cut the chilli heat to perfection.’
- ‘Whiter than white chicken strips lie submerged in a pond of fresh coriander, tasty lemongrass, tomato cubes, sprouts, ginger, sliced bamboo shoots and tiny straw mushroom bonnets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.