One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who buys something on behalf of someone else in order to circumvent legal restrictions or enable fraud.‘straw buyers purchased weapons and passed them on to cartels and criminals’
- ‘In the investigation, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives allowed suspected low-level straw buyers for the gun trafficking network to purchase and transport guns.’
- ‘In that operation, federal agents monitored straw buyers who bought about 2,000 guns, but did not intervene to arrest them or seize the weapons because they were trying to identify higher-ups in the network.’
- ‘They "fail to utilize basic training instruction that would help dealers and distributors recognize straw buyers or avoid distribution to illegal purchasers."’
- ‘He is one of 14 straw buyers linked to the operation to have pleaded guilty to buying firearms they knew were destined to fall into criminal hands.’
- ‘The ATF agents wanted to arrest them since they were obvious straw buyers and that would have stopped those weapons from getting out.’
- ‘The indictment says that a bank employee, who is not named, provided a document for submission to a lender that falsely stated a straw buyer had a certain amount of money on deposit at the bank.’
- ‘When I conducted research with shooters in Northern California, I found it was no secret which dealers were selling guns to straw buyers.’
- ‘Samuels, 36, is accused of recruiting straw buyers to purchase units in multifamily dwellings from September 2006 to July 2008.’
- ‘Under federal law, straw buyers cannot be held liable for deaths caused by the weapons they bought.’
- ‘"Straw buyers" bought guns, which were smuggled to drug cartels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.