Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Arranged in layers.‘stratiform clouds’
- ‘Richard Lindzen quoted it as being the effect of water vapour and stratiform clouds alone.’
- ‘Once the convective action of the cumulus cloud dies away, the residual mass of uplifted air, more or less stratiform, carries on or commences raining until its moisture has been rained out.’
- ‘We added three sets of broadband solar radiometers mounted on an aircraft, which was flown over the site and above stratiform clouds at an altitude of 7 km.’
- ‘The outlines of stratiform clouds are less distinct and often merge into layers with only slight vertical features.’
- 1.1Geology (of a mineral deposit) formed parallel to the bedding planes of the surrounding rock.
- ‘The older sample, a stratiform volcaniclastic layer (Hans-Platte) is collected from Bundenbach (Hunsrück), the type locality of the Lower Emsian Hunsrück Slate.’
- ‘The Lake Superior portion of the rift system is host to the world-class native-copper deposits of the Keweenaw Peninsula and the sediment-hosted stratiform copper sulfide deposit at the White Pine mine.’
- ‘For example, layered intrusions are subdivided into stratiform and contact deposits, with the stratiform deposits further subdivided into chromite and sulphide-associated deposits.’
- ‘They can also be applied to the search for stratiform and superficial deposits.’
- ‘This distribution defines an antithetic relationship between breccia facies in the red mudrock sequences and stratiform mineralization.’
- ‘Syngenetic mineralization commonly occurs as beds that lie conformably within the layers of the host rocks and hence are called stratiform deposits.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.