One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Arranged in layers.‘stratiform clouds’
- ‘Richard Lindzen quoted it as being the effect of water vapour and stratiform clouds alone.’
- ‘The outlines of stratiform clouds are less distinct and often merge into layers with only slight vertical features.’
- ‘We added three sets of broadband solar radiometers mounted on an aircraft, which was flown over the site and above stratiform clouds at an altitude of 7 km.’
- ‘Once the convective action of the cumulus cloud dies away, the residual mass of uplifted air, more or less stratiform, carries on or commences raining until its moisture has been rained out.’
- 1.1Geology (of a mineral deposit) formed parallel to the bedding planes of the surrounding rock.
- ‘The Lake Superior portion of the rift system is host to the world-class native-copper deposits of the Keweenaw Peninsula and the sediment-hosted stratiform copper sulfide deposit at the White Pine mine.’
- ‘This distribution defines an antithetic relationship between breccia facies in the red mudrock sequences and stratiform mineralization.’
- ‘The older sample, a stratiform volcaniclastic layer (Hans-Platte) is collected from Bundenbach (Hunsrück), the type locality of the Lower Emsian Hunsrück Slate.’
- ‘For example, layered intrusions are subdivided into stratiform and contact deposits, with the stratiform deposits further subdivided into chromite and sulphide-associated deposits.’
- ‘Syngenetic mineralization commonly occurs as beds that lie conformably within the layers of the host rocks and hence are called stratiform deposits.’
- ‘They can also be applied to the search for stratiform and superficial deposits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.