One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ornamentation imitating pierced and interlaced straps.
- ‘The Oriental theme is continued in the strapwork with hatching, imitating the border on blue-and-white Chinese export porcelain.’
- ‘The altar has a profusion of Mannerist ornament, pierced scrollwork, vigorous strapwork, combined with many tiny figures, and floral and grotesque motifs.’
- ‘The design is also advanced for its time, since vertical strapwork carving on the crest and the geometric moldings became popular along the river after the Civil War in furniture in the Renaissance revival style.’
- ‘This probably describes the set with strapwork splats.’
- ‘Almost all chairs with splats of this strapwork design have a deep quarter-round molding above a fillet.’
- ‘Plates made by Kornilov decorated with orange and green strapwork clearly inspired by the decoration on the Kremlin Service were also popular in the West.’
- ‘A catch of herring hangs on a loop that forms part of the strapwork at the back.’
- ‘The timber framed doorcases have unusual strapwork decoration and pretty teardrop style fanlights above.’
- ‘Between the plaques the dish is covered with finely cast strapwork, birds, masks, serpents, fruit, flowers and winged horses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.