One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hinge with long leaves or flaps for screwing on to the surface of a door or gate.
- ‘It is a subtle blending of these two materials with white shutters sporting handsome wrought iron strap hinges.’
- ‘The exception is the chest in Plate I on which the present butt hinges are replacements for the original strap hinges.’
- ‘It is made of three wide planks of oak, bound together with galvanized strap hinges.’
- ‘Attach the tip of the trowel to one side of a narrow strap hinge using epoxy made for metal.’
- ‘Two panels hang from posts with heavy strap hinges so they can swing open for loading bulky furniture and garden supplies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.