Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An honest and forthright person.‘Candace is a plain talker and a straight shooter’
- ‘Sure, some of it's just team loyalty, but there are a number of people who think he's a straight shooter, an everyman of simple values and authentic virtues, masculine, good-hearted and tough.’
- ‘Sure he's a bit forward for the first date; straight shooters like Tom often have rough edges.’
- ‘But he is also known as very much a straight shooter.’
- ‘Both he and Harvey are regarded as straight shooters, and the government's vigorous pursuit of this case sends a strong message to the media that it will clamp down on the free exchange of information it sees as embarrassing wherever it can.’
- ‘And I think he has a reputation in Washington as being a real straight shooter.’
- ‘He is widely praised as honest and a straight shooter.’
- ‘Along the way, this straight shooter earned a number of fans.’
- ‘So you can see what a straight shooter he must be.’
- ‘He's a straight shooter, and I think he's going to be a good leader.’
- ‘He is a straight shooter and one of the two or three smartest people I have ever met.’
- ‘And the president should not be criticized for being a straight shooter and calling a spade a spade.’
- ‘Americans like a plainspoken leader, a straight shooter they can trust, we are told.’
- ‘He may be prickly, but he's an absolute straight shooter and he tells it exactly like he thinks it is.’
- ‘But they seem like straight shooters who understand blogs, and their business model is interesting.’
- ‘When you're dealing with her as a person, she can be absolutely delightful, but you always feel she's a straight shooter.’
- ‘He is not a slick talker but he is a straight shooter and, where I come from, deeds mean a lot more than words.’
- ‘But at least he had the virtue of being a straight shooter.’
- ‘He's a straight shooter, honest, and he knows everything that is going on in media.’
- ‘Be a real straight shooter; employees will appreciate your honesty.’
- ‘His players and coaches respect him because he's a straight shooter who always is fair.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.