One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A straight-backed side chair.
- ‘Victoria walks in quietly and attempts to sit down relatively unnoticed, but kicks her toe on an empty straight chair, creating a great racket.’
- ‘Russell dropped into the straight chair near the tiny bunk alcove and buried his head in his palms.’
- ‘Max sat in a hard-backed, straight chair, staring at the man as he paced before her.’
- ‘We got to sit on straight chairs, and they had this lady play sad songs on the piano while we were waiting for him to come in and lecture.’
- ‘Petty is across the way, leaning back in a straight chair, wearing jeans and a pressed white shirt.’
- ‘I'm fine, but you can't be comfortable in that straight chair.’
- ‘To the left and up a little is a second-story bedroom with only a brass bed and a straight chair.’
- ‘Bob saw a large bed, a fireplace with a gas heater where the fire once went, a dresser, a couple of straight chairs and a large table covered with a Union Jack.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.