One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1With courage and determination.‘she stoutly defends her action’‘he stoutly maintained his innocence’
- ‘It is reasonable to surmise she will stoutly support the prime minister.’
- ‘He stoutly persisted in the confession of his faith.’
- ‘Unlike his master, Trudge stoutly resists a planter's effort to sell his mistress into slavery.’
- ‘By stoutly rejecting the force of federal constitutional law, Moore takes the South back to some of its least attractive history.’
- ‘They Pakistanis have stoutly denied any association with the hijacking.’
2In a strong and sturdy manner.‘the houses are built stoutly of granite’
- ‘Its well-muscled body is supported by stoutly boned, short to medium legs that give the cat a low-slung appearance.’
- ‘The deputy nurses a pint of the black stuff, held stoutly in his fist.’
- ‘Most varieties are stoutly constructed, suggesting a defensive mechanism against predatory fish.’
- ‘He's a stoutly built middle-aged man with an intelligent face.’
- ‘Walter is played by the now stoutly adolescent actor, and is required to stop doing his familiar tiny little voice and be a hearty normal kid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.