Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The plot of a novel, play, film, or other narrative form.
plot, storyline, scenario, chain of eventsView synonyms
- ‘The writers will begin to develop storylines based on the on-screen chemistry and the personalities of the actors.’
- ‘The characters are surprisingly unconventional and breathe new life into a well-used storyline.’
- ‘The film's weakness lies in its storyline, which is knotted with subplots.’
- ‘Certain storylines feel compromised by the need to squeeze so much plot into a single season.’
- ‘The cast and crew remained tight-lipped about the storyline and the characters of the film.’
- ‘Are all loose ends, storylines and subplots seamlessly tied up in the conclusion?’
- ‘Some of the best romantic comedies from the past have absurd storylines.’
- ‘While the storyline meanders badly, the musical sequences are terrific.’
- ‘A quality film with an original storyline is a rare find these days.’
- ‘I don't want to give anything away because the storyline is so good!’
- ‘After an hour of arguing, the four main storylines that will form the next episode are all there and it's time to split them into scenes.’
- ‘They all agree that the storylines are compelling.’
- ‘Brave new storylines are plotted, tackling issues like illiteracy, drink driving and vote rigging.’
- ‘The movie is still impressive, even if contemporary viewers may be baffled by the abrupt shifts between styles, time periods and storylines.’
- ‘Films that juggle and interweave storylines across time can be tricky business.’
- ‘The process began with a meeting of writers and producers where storylines were discussed.’
- ‘Overall, the storylines are engaging and skillfully intertwined, and the acting well-done.’
- ‘These films were strong on atmosphere and often had interesting storylines and settings.’
- ‘What do you do to try and keep the storylines and dialogue feeling authentic?’
- ‘We're very excited about the excellent casting and the edgy and urban storylines.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.