One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1dated term for storm petrel
- ‘It houses Manx shearwaters, herring and black-backed gulls, razorbills, stormy petrels and guillemots as well as puffins.’
- ‘Wandering albatrosses, Wilson's stormy petrels, Cape petrels and brown-browed albatrosses kept us entertained us with their flights across the waves.’
2A person who delights in conflict or attracts controversy.
- ‘Dhanraj Pillay, the stormy petrel of Indian hockey, came up with the answer, emphasising that players like the young Sandeep Singh should be drafted into the Indian team immediately.’
- ‘The stormy petrel of politics is still considering his options with regard to an appeal against the High Court decision shooting down his dual mandate case.’
- ‘Clark comes over on television as a square-jawed straight-shooter, not the stormy petrel that the Army knew during 34 years of active duty.’
- ‘It is intriguing, to say the least, that Krishna has included Bose, the stormy petrel of the movement who tried to give a new direction to the freedom movement, in the fourth group.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.