One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1dated term for storm petrel
- ‘It houses Manx shearwaters, herring and black-backed gulls, razorbills, stormy petrels and guillemots as well as puffins.’
- ‘Wandering albatrosses, Wilson's stormy petrels, Cape petrels and brown-browed albatrosses kept us entertained us with their flights across the waves.’
2A person who delights in conflict or attracts controversy.
- ‘Clark comes over on television as a square-jawed straight-shooter, not the stormy petrel that the Army knew during 34 years of active duty.’
- ‘It is intriguing, to say the least, that Krishna has included Bose, the stormy petrel of the movement who tried to give a new direction to the freedom movement, in the fourth group.’
- ‘Dhanraj Pillay, the stormy petrel of Indian hockey, came up with the answer, emphasising that players like the young Sandeep Singh should be drafted into the Indian team immediately.’
- ‘The stormy petrel of politics is still considering his options with regard to an appeal against the High Court decision shooting down his dual mandate case.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.