One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A window fixed on the outside of a normal window for protection and insulation in bad weather or winter.
- ‘And I couldn't get the storm window open, so Detective Barnes, I think, pushed the window in.’
- ‘The units are spaced with a 1-to 2inch gap between the storm window and existing window.’
- ‘Install storm windows over single-pane windows or replace them with double-pane windows.’
- ‘Check that all storm windows and windows are closed and latched.’
- ‘The existing window frame needs to be in reasonable shape, or adding a storm window probably won't make sense.’
- ‘They'd just put the storm windows in and she heard a passing flock of geese, muffled through two layers of glass.’
- ‘As winter's storm windows come down, it's time to let the outdoor air in.’
- ‘Repair and weatherize your current storm windows, if necessary.’
- ‘It is especially important to have storm windows if the windows in your home are older and not constructed of modern insulated glass.’
- ‘A storm window installed on the inside works better than one installed on the outside.’
- ‘Some storm windows have fixed, full length screens and glass panels that slide out of the way for ventilation.’
- ‘The supplier will first measure all the windows where you want storm windows installed.’
- ‘Remove storm windows or doors, and replace with clean screens.’
- ‘Have you recently remodeled your home or done any energy conservation work, such as installing insulation, storm windows, or weather stripping?’
- ‘The type of frame material on a storm window unit is important because it contributes to the storm window's heat conductivity and maintenance.’
- ‘I cleaned rooms, laundered bedding, caulked around storm windows, shoveled snow, and rented rooms to travelers and lovers.’
- ‘Check the storm windows to see if they fit and are not broken.’
- ‘There was a small four pane window covered by a storm window at the end opposite the door.’
- ‘Like a storm window, double-glazed glass creates insulation by using an extra sheet of glass to create an air pocket.’
- ‘Now with the weather getting colder and the heat running I have found that there is a lot of condensation on the storm windows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.