One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A window fixed on the outside of a normal window for protection and insulation in bad weather or winter.
- ‘Some storm windows have fixed, full length screens and glass panels that slide out of the way for ventilation.’
- ‘The supplier will first measure all the windows where you want storm windows installed.’
- ‘Repair and weatherize your current storm windows, if necessary.’
- ‘The type of frame material on a storm window unit is important because it contributes to the storm window's heat conductivity and maintenance.’
- ‘They'd just put the storm windows in and she heard a passing flock of geese, muffled through two layers of glass.’
- ‘Install storm windows over single-pane windows or replace them with double-pane windows.’
- ‘Like a storm window, double-glazed glass creates insulation by using an extra sheet of glass to create an air pocket.’
- ‘Check the storm windows to see if they fit and are not broken.’
- ‘Remove storm windows or doors, and replace with clean screens.’
- ‘Check that all storm windows and windows are closed and latched.’
- ‘And I couldn't get the storm window open, so Detective Barnes, I think, pushed the window in.’
- ‘A storm window installed on the inside works better than one installed on the outside.’
- ‘The existing window frame needs to be in reasonable shape, or adding a storm window probably won't make sense.’
- ‘The units are spaced with a 1-to 2inch gap between the storm window and existing window.’
- ‘Now with the weather getting colder and the heat running I have found that there is a lot of condensation on the storm windows.’
- ‘Have you recently remodeled your home or done any energy conservation work, such as installing insulation, storm windows, or weather stripping?’
- ‘There was a small four pane window covered by a storm window at the end opposite the door.’
- ‘I cleaned rooms, laundered bedding, caulked around storm windows, shoveled snow, and rented rooms to travelers and lovers.’
- ‘As winter's storm windows come down, it's time to let the outdoor air in.’
- ‘It is especially important to have storm windows if the windows in your home are older and not constructed of modern insulated glass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.