One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for shock troops
- ‘The sub-machine-gun had been developed in Germany in 1917-18 as a weapon for storm troops, a short-range automatic weapon firing pistol ammunition.’
- ‘Our informant watched in disbelief as storm troops completely destroyed a house belonging to someone he knew who now resides in South Africa.’
- 1.1historical The Nazi political militia; the Brownshirts.
- ‘Seven of the highest commanders of the Storm Troops have been summarily shot.’
- ‘S. S. Storm Troops guarded the house but Reichswehr soldiers, sent by President von Hindenburg to guard his favorite statesman, stood watch inside.’
- ‘By Wednesday the prime minister appeared to believe that only 90-day detention stood between Britain and the imminent arrival of Hitler's storm troops.’
- ‘The polls opened at 8 o'clock, but in Berlin Storm Troops, Hitler Youth Troops and Nazi labor union groups took to the streets as early as 6 o'clock to wake the populace by shouting at them to do their duty.’
- ‘The Storm Troops or ‘Brownshirts’ were organized initially to serve as a protective force at Nazi Party meetings and placed under the leadership of Captain Ernst Röhm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.