One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rising of the sea as a result of wind and atmospheric pressure changes associated with a storm.
- ‘My mother insists the storm was so fierce a tidal wave came ashore, not just a storm surge.’
- ‘A storm surge is primarily caused by the wind pushing the sea towards the coast, but can also be coupled with low air pressure.’
- ‘The right front quadrant contains the highest storm surge, the strongest winds.’
- ‘On the foreshore at Beachmere, the storm surge deposited boats in tree-tops.’
- ‘The storm was accompanied by an extraordinary storm surge, with water levels metres above normal, and also by huge waves.’
- ‘These winds caused a storm surge and extensive wave action.’
- ‘Hurricanes can bring destruction on an unimaginable scale, and most of the devastation is caused by the storm surge that often occurs with a hurricane.’
- ‘Of 19 cyclone-related deaths in Mackay, most drowned in the storm surge.’
- ‘Yet this storm, even though it's weaker, will have a larger storm surge because its circulation is much bigger.’
- ‘Above, residents survey damage caused by the hurricane and its storm surge.’
- ‘We're going to have to deal with the storm surge, the wind and the rainfall throughout this event.’
- ‘We have this concern at the coast for the storm surge and the winds, but we have just as great a concern inland for some very heavy rain.’
- ‘A storm surge at high tide destroyed the dukes and killed more than 1800 people.’
- ‘The real challenge for us would be to handle any kind of a storm surge or any hurricane that came close to the city.’
- ‘The storm's impending landfall has sent millions of people inland to escape fierce winds and a deadly storm surge.’
- ‘That's where the storm surge and the winds are going to be strongest.’
- ‘Many of the victims were killed by the accompanying storm surge.’
- ‘And we're going to have to talk about the hazard, the storm surge, the winds and the rainfall.’
- ‘Just how much damage depends, of course, on the size of the storm surge that comes ashore with Rita.’
- ‘While the winds were not as high, the storm surge actually exceeded Camille considerably.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.