Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of computer equipment on which information can be stored.
- ‘By clicking onto this icon the user can access the general and private data from the storage device in no time.’
- ‘A query is executed in a computer to retrieve data from a database stored on a data storage device.’
- ‘The drives were seen as additions to existing hardware, not as an independent storage device.’
- ‘This particular error usually indicates that the mass storage device isn't recognized properly by Windows.’
- ‘With this kit you can take almost any old hard drive and convert it into an external storage device.’
- ‘Digital rights software will enable users to view the program a certain number of times, after which it will be automatically erased from the storage device.’
- ‘The archiving is a multi-step process, including data compression and then moving the files to the nearline storage device.’
- ‘Are you looking for a high-capacity storage device big enough to store and preserve tons of vital computer data?’
- ‘It will be detected as an external storage device, and automatically be assigned a drive letter.’
- ‘A statement is stored in a database stored on a data storage device connected to a computer.’
- ‘It needs a link between the virtual/main memory of the computer and the secondary storage device in order to access the data contained in the database.’
- ‘Flash memory chips are the primary storage device for handphones at present, but small HDDs are at least three or four times more cost-efficient.’
- ‘For added flexibility, they can be used as a USB storage device.’
- ‘If you really want to remove the file's contents from a mass storage device - be it a hard drive or a USB drive - you've got to overwrite the individual file blocks with new data.’
- ‘While there is plenty there, it's a shame that's its not upgradeable, or you can't use the phone as a storage device.’
- ‘It is a removable storage device which plugs into the USB port.’
- ‘If you have a high-capacity storage device, you can store one hour of high-definition TV and watch it later.’
- ‘The hard drive is the primary storage device for desktop and laptop computers.’
- ‘It has also been claimed that part or all of the device's memory can be mounted on a host computer's desktop as a removable storage device.’
- ‘The near future of storage devices continues to be increasing storage capacity while reducing the physical size of the storage device.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.