One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The knob controlling a stop on an organ or harpsichord.
- ‘You've no doubt been struck by the great number of stop knobs you saw in the photograph, and it is an impressive sight.’
- ‘With Opus 25, sliding stop knobs were abandoned in favor of pairs of mutually canceling conventional draw knobs.’
- ‘The slides are stuck, and few of the stop knobs will draw.’
- ‘It includes keyboards, a pedalboard, stop knobs, and other devices required to control the sound of the instrument.’
- ‘On both sides of the keyboard-left and right-there are stop knobs to change the tone, coupler knobs to combine the keyboards, and other knobs which operate other attachments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.