Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small Old World songbird of the thrush family, having bold markings and a call like two stones being knocked together.
- ‘The August sand-dune flora includes harebell and bloody crane's-bill, with sea rocket along the strand line and stonechats perched in the burnet roses.’
- ‘This companionship extended into early summer when the stonechat family was fed both in and out of the nest by the lonely Dartford.’
- ‘Some, such as the wryneck, ceased to breed in East Anglia; others, notably the stonechat, all but vanished.’
- ‘In stonechats, the combined effects of ACTH administration and handling during that treatment led to a significant increase of excreted corticosteroid metabolites within 1 h 20 min.’
- ‘On occasions woodchats have been known to plunder the nests of other birds, which may explain the anxiety of a pair of stonechats nearby.’
- ‘Experiments were carried out end of April (adrenocorticotrophic hormone [ACTH] challenge) and June (radiolabeled corticosterone infusion) 2000, when gonads of the stonechats were fully developed.’
- ‘Tritiated corticosterone ([1,2, 6,7] 3 H-Cc New England Nuclear-Dupont: NET - 399) was used to determine how one male and one female stonechat metabolize and excrete that steroid.’
- ‘In the low Syrian Mesquite bushes we found a stonechat and a few white wagtails running around.’
- ‘I saw half a dozen stonechats scattered singly or in pairs along a mile stretch of the fenceline.’
- ‘We tested one further antibody (against 11-oxoetiocholanolone) that has been successfully used in geese but it did not give satisfying results in stonechats.’
- ‘Forays off the beaten path led me to a common stonechat, a white wagtail, a plain leaf warbler, and a number of species in the shrike family; great grey shrike, masked shrike, and red-backed shrike.’
- ‘Migratory stonechats, Saxicola torquata, established territories as apparent male and female pairs on their wintering grounds in Israel.’
- ‘Taken together, these results indicate that excreted corticosteroid metabolites usually integrate plasma hormone levels of 1-3 h in stonechats and thus parallel the time course of androgen metabolite excretion in this species.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.