One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fruit with flesh or pulp enclosing a stone, such as a peach, plum, or cherry.
- ‘The system ripens stone fruit in around 12 to 48 hours.’
- ‘Although we are almost at the end of the local strawberry season, and raspberries are also on their way out, stone fruits and currants are definitely in.’
- ‘These are the last few days that we have to enjoy British and European stone fruits before they disappear for another year.’
- ‘A mature Pinot will take on complex savoury aromas and flavours of cherries and red stone fruit, with a silky texture.’
- ‘In August you'll find an abundance of peaches and other stone fruit, early apples, and vegetables.’
- ‘The apricot gets its name from the Latin word praecox, meaning precocious, for its habit of ripening early compared with other stone fruits.’
- ‘Growers of stone fruit, bananas and lychees suffer most.’
- ‘This great white wine - with orchard-fresh flavors of stone fruit, citrus, apples, and minerals - is made in many styles, from bone dry to very sweet.’
- ‘Europe is an important market for Australian horticultural exports with Pink Lady apples, onions, table grapes and stone fruit the leading items.’
- ‘Sweet sabayon is often used to accompany fresh berries or stone fruit.’
- ‘You could also make it with apples, pears, or even stone fruit such as plums or apricots.’
- ‘However, there is a price to pay for living in a horticultural paradise, and for us that means not being able to grow stone fruit successfully.’
- ‘But you could just as well drop a few cardamom pods into a syrup for poaching the stone fruit that will be coming on stream soon or even store it up as a flavour for Christmas cakes and puddings.’
- ‘A corner of my father's almond orchard in California's Central Valley has always been reserved for fruit trees, so every summer we were overwhelmed with stone fruit.’
- ‘Pests like plum curculio and brown rot are relentless when it comes to stone fruits like plums and peaches.’
- ‘Growers are evaluating the new sprayer for use on grapes, blueberries, and stone fruits.’
- ‘It goes perfectly with summer's stone fruits, either fresh, gently poached or equally gently oven-roasted.’
- ‘John Harris swears by calcified seaweed for encouraging stone fruit such as plums.’
- ‘It works very well with chocolate (both dark and best-quality white) or with berries and stone fruit.’
- ‘The peach twig borer, Anarsia lineatella, is another key pest damaging shoots and fruits of almonds and stone fruits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.