One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, heavy edible crab of the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean area.
Menippe mercenaria, family Xanthidae
- ‘From deep-fried cracked conch - a Keys' specialty, to stone crab claws, Florida lobster or a dozen different fish species, Key Largo's chefs take pride in how they prepare the local catch.’
- ‘Pholeus bifurcatus burrow system corresponds somewhat with modern burrows produced by crabs, such as the stone crab Menippe mercenaria or Goneplax rhomboids.’
- ‘During my study periods, the blue crab were observed in all the habitats, while the two less-mobile crabs (the stone crab and the mud crab) were not found in the mud flat.’
- ‘Arches restaurant is a Newport landmark, serving fresh fish, stone crab claws, and high-priced abalone.’
- ‘The grass flats are home to pink shrimp, sea trout, redfish, snook, spiny lobsters and stone crabs, making them the cornerstone of the state's multi-million-dollar recreational fishing and seafood industries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.