One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See stone face
solemn, earnest, serious, sombre, sober, severeView synonyms
- ‘At the end he stands center stage to receive the applause, patient and stone-faced, impassive under the weight of all these strangers and their love.’
- ‘According to Bernard, the stone-faced city attorneys agree that the conditions of the project need to be enforced but say they can't enforce them.’
- ‘Barb and Paul looked at her, stone-faced and ready for the worst.’
- ‘I was waiting for them to fall out of their chairs laughing, but they just sat there, stone-faced.’
- ‘Get there early or be prepared for a long wait before the obligatory pat-down by the stone-faced bouncers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.