Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of popular music) having a fast tempo and a heavy beat:‘I needed a really stomping guitar line’
- ‘Then, as instructed, two beats cue the stomping 60-second Toadies-via-Pixies rip-off.’
- ‘‘Crabbuckit’ is a New Orleans front-stoop jam bursting at the seams with stomping bass and hand claps.’
- ‘It's spangled with lingering-vulture reverb picks, stomping fuzz bass and a delightfully mushy drum sound, likely one of Moe Tucker's appearances.’
- ‘But the stomping beat, electric noodling and spinetingling bass on this track are enough to win me over.’
- ‘It's a fine slice of foot stomping blues boogie and should be the ace that levers The Kings of Leon onto the main stages of Europe's summer festivals.’
- ‘Thirty minutes of energetic stomping metal is enough to grip anybody that has actually come to see some music rather than snog with Sharon of Class 5B in the corner.’
- ‘Their stomping bluegrass rhythms got everyone dancing on the lakeshore by the time evening came in July and being local they are very keen to support the event and keep it going from strength to strength.’
- ‘But this spanking new effort, while powerful, boasts a distinctly ethereal quality, softening the stomping stridency of the Simple Minds we knew in the 1980s.’
- ‘The Crystal Method's style grafts elements of the U.K.'s big beat generation with stomping funk and plenty of American rock and roll.’
- ‘When he kicks into the stomping chorus of ‘One more city and we're gonna fall apart,’ he sounds like he's exorcising old demons.’
- ‘This is particularly evident on the stomping melody ‘Before I Hit The Wall’.’
- ‘Out of a buzzy analog haze, a stomping bassline gathers up all the lost children and, in a glorious series of chimes and welcoming blips, sends them out into a magical world of candy cane funk.’
- ‘A massive gothic organ lifts the sublime ‘Escape Song’ up a gear before a Syd Barrett guitar hook progresses the track to a stomping fuzzed rock finale.’
- ‘The opener ‘Do It Again’ is a stomping serenade that cuts three different structures into the song, allowing him to weave his vocals around the jutting guitar riffs.’
- ‘Million Dead have the stomping riffs and thumping bass lines that make them a great band.’
- ‘His feet are the percussion; his stamping transforms the song from sweet ditty to stomping barn-dance floor classic.’
- ‘This rejuvenated band sound fantastic, their 7 song set stuffed with stomping indie hits.’
- ‘He apes Velvet Underground's I'm Waiting For The Man to brilliant effect on the stomping Mucky Fingers.’
- ‘The title track rests on a huge, stomping AC / DC riff, and the two rappers sound pretty amazing yelling over it.’
- ‘Expect stomping tunes, lots of shouting, explosions, visuals, possibly the odd floating drum riser, denim, leather, hair and more shouting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.