1A cigarette butt.
- ‘Smokers are requested to use the red bins and not discard stompies in the natural bush due to the high risk of veld fires.’
- ‘There are even signs to ask smokers, when they go on to the pavement to smoke, not to drop their stompies on the street.’
- ‘I must admit that stompies are the rubbish I find the most.’
- ‘I must point out that the place was spotless, I didn't see any overflowing dirt bins and papers or even stompies lying around.’
- ‘It was somewhere around this time that someone (surely a mortal enemy from those dark years) dumped two cigarette stompies in my bottle of Mokador, something which was only brought to my attention when I offered some to her at the Taphuis an hour later.’
- 1.1 A half-smoked cigarette kept for later use.
- ‘I once burned the tip of my nose lighting up a stompie.’
Afrikaans, diminutive of stomp stump.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.